If you’re interested in a presentation or other program, please send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 828-424-1315.
- Wildflower Ecology June 19, 2017
- Cranefly Orchid (Tipularia discolor): A wintergreen orchidThis relatively common orchid in moist-to-dry forests throughout much of South Carolina has an unusual life cycle in that it is wintergreen and summer deciduous. Its dark green 2-4 inch leaves with a purple underside emerge from a small corm (underground food storage organ) in fall when most other deciduous plants are beginning to drop […]
- Wildflower Hot SpotsCheck out this article on wildflower hotspots of the world from the 12 July 2012 issue of the Wall Street Journal written by Steve Mollman.
- Black Bears and Bear cornHiking in the Smokies in early June, I came upon a young black bear foraging in the woods. Partially hidden behind a large dead hemlock tree, and with a pair of binoculars in hand, I watched the bear consume the fruits and shoots on multiple clumps of bear corn, a process that went on for […]
- Cranefly Orchid (Tipularia discolor): A wintergreen orchid